This is not your formal “tips to become a makeup artist”, this is more about tips that I have personally picked up as an artist that I think are important! Please don’t take what I put in this post as a “you must do this to be good” or anything of that sort, I just wanted to share a few things that I have learned while being an artist!
- Seek an internship/assistant job. It is so important to learn that there are more ways than one to do things. Assisting will help you learn some different tips and tricks than the ones you learn on Youtube.
- Buy disposable or metal spatulas. I personally love disposables but to be more green, use a metal spatula and clean it thouroughly inbetween clients.
- Don’t double dip in creams. Seriously, double dipped creams are a disgusting bacteria feast.
- Respond to emails in a timely manner. The faster you respond, the more likely that you will be booked before anyone else. The early birdy gets the wormy!
- Always be thankful when a new and returning customer contacts you, and show it! Send out “Thank You” card or emails after the fact, or even offer a discount on their next service. Don’t be afraid to ask for a review too!
- INVEST in a website and logo. Trust me. And keep your website fresh! A lot of the time, it’s the first thing that people look at when they hear about you, so you want to make sure it presents who you are as an artist.
- Educate yourself. Most importantly: Esthetics all together, Color Theory, Product Knowledge, Ingredient Lists, the list goes on. I don’t care how long you’ve been in the business, there is always something new to learn!
- Layer products, don’t just rely on one product to get the job done. Layering can help the makeup last longer, especially for those hot summer weddings. (i.e. cream blush with powder on top, corrector and then concealer etc.). I don’t mean PACK IT ON, I mean, a little touch of this, a little touch of that.
- Pro Discounts are your best friend. You will save a lot of $$$ if you apply for pro discounts. Ensure that you gather all your documentation prior to opening up those pro discount pages – i.d., composite card, business card, tear sheets, call sheets, union card etc.
- Practice Eyelash application. Perfect eyelash placement is more important than you would think! If an eyelash is placed wrong, it can actually change the appearance of the eyes to be more droopy, uneven and just funky!
- Dress to Impress. Think of it like a normal job where you have a uniform or dress code. Your clients are paying quite a bit of money so you want them to know they picked a professional.
- Wear Makeup to your appointments. People actually do look at your face and judge what you will do with their face.
- KEEP UP THE INNOVATION! Staying on your toes with how to make your business better or different, will in fact, make your business better! This is my favorite tip of all because with the world constantly changing, you should constantly be thinking of ways to improve your business efficacy!
What are some tips that have helped you? Feel free to share in the comments below!